Common questions about Non-Lucrative Visas

Estimated read time 3 min read

The Spanish non-lucrative permit is for people who wish to establish their residence in Spain, and have sufficient means of subsistence to live in Spain, without the need to perform any commercial activity.

Non-EU citizens who wish to reside in Spain for more than 90 days need a visa to enter Spain. The so-called non-profit residence visa allows its beneficiaries to reside in Spain, but to carry out a professional activity.

Therefore, for those who want to spend more than half a year in Spain, this non-profit visa is a good option to make residence in Spanish territory effective.

Spain is a country that stands out for the quality of life it offers to expatriates from other countries, occupying a prominent position in world rankings, especially in terms of customs and way of life.

In addition, Spanish residency gives the option of access to the 26 European countries of the Schengen area.

What are the requirements?

The application for a non-profit residence visa must be presented at the Spanish Consulate in the applicant’s country of origin. In order to do so, the following requirements must be completed and up to date:

– Fill in the application form.

– Have a valid passport.

– Present the criminal record document.

– Documentation accrediting sufficient financial means.

– Medical insurance documentation.

– Valid medical certificate.

What are the requirements for non lucarative visa

What is the deadline for submitting the non-profit residence visa?

The deadline for processing the application is three months.

Once completed, if the visa is granted, the applicant must enter Spain within the maximum period of validity of the visa itself, i.e. 3 months.

One month after entering Spanish territory, the residence card can be applied for.

What taxes must be paid?

In order to obtain a Non-Lucrative Visa, the applicant must be up to date with the payment of the following taxes:

– Proof that you receive 400% of the IPREM annually in your bank account. This will imply an income of approximately €2,259.60 or €27,115.20 per year, or equivalent in foreign currency.

– On the other hand, for each additional member of the family entering Spain, 100% of the IPREM will be required; approximately €564.90 per month or its equivalent in foreign currency.

In order to prove that you have sufficient means to reside in Spain without the need to work, any legally accepted means will suffice. For example, a bank statement or any other reliable document.

What is the IPREM?

The public income multiplier index (IPREM) is a reference index used in Spain for the allocation and granting of financial aid, subsidies, grants or unemployment benefits, among others, based on income.

The IPREM is updated at the beginning of each year in the Spanish Budget Law.

What is the deadline for submitting the non-profit residence visa

What is the difference between the Golden Visa and the Non-Lucrative Visa in Spain?

The main difference between these two types of visas is that the Golden Visa was created to encourage investment and the arrival of foreign talent to Spanish territory; therefore, those seeking to invest in Spain, or even to start a business, do not have to live in the country, but can travel from time to time to do business at least once a year in order to keep the visa.

On the other hand, the Non-Lucrative Visa does not require any prior investment in Spain, nor does it require that a business be started or that the holder work within the country. In order for the visa to be granted, the visa holder must establish residence in Spain for a period of at least six months and up to one year.

Sarah Cantley

Editorial Head at UK Blog for Business & Startup.

Must Read